Saturday, January 15, 2022

Roots (1/30/20)

In the car selfies used to be our thing. Almost every morning when I'd take you to school, we'd take one. Sometimes silly, sometimes cute, but they were us loving our time together.

As you've grown, your excitement for them waned. You started riding the bus and I stopped asking as often.

You changed as you aged and I get far fewer smiles than I used to. The realities of life have found their way to you. Your body and demeanor have changed so you don't find me nearly as amusing.

I get it. You're growing up. In some ways, I knew it would come, I guess I just always hoped it wouldn't. I hoped my silliness would always make you smile and not become an annoyance. I know that it's part of your age, but it's hard on a mama. Letting you grow up is hard. I know that's part of it, but a lot of me misses when these silly selfies were enough to light up that beautiful face.

So today when you agreed to take a selfie with me even after a rough start to your morning, I drank it up. I relished the smile and the love. I let it sink in that even though I'm letting you go, deep down, these are your roots and even as you grow, parts of you will always cling to me ❤



No comments:

Post a Comment