Saturday, January 15, 2022

COVID (3/18/20)

The last couple of weeks have left a lot of uncertainty. Life as we’ve always known it has been upended. People are scared; rightfully so. In times of uncertainty, fear is easy to find and easy to allow to consume you. Life as we know it is different. And for that I’m sorry.

I’m sorry my almost twelve year old that we’ve had to cancel your birthday party.

I’m sorry my five year old that you misunderstood me telling you not to eat all your snacks in one day or you wouldn’t have any food to mean that we weren’t going to have any food at all for you to eat. However, I’m thankful that it gave us the opportunity to discuss that for some children, going without food on a regular basis is a reality.

I’m sorry my six year old that you now have to know what an autoimmune disorder is and why it’s so important for us to wash our hands and stay away from others.

I’m sorry that I’ve began to sound like the mom of “no.” No: you can’t have a sleepover. No: you can’t have friends over. No: we can’t go somewhere fun. No seems to be a more common theme than ever before. I hate that it’s our reality right now, but for you, me, and everyone else, I keep reminding us it’s for the best.

I’m sorry to my favorite mom and pop shops that I hope and pray can make it out of being forced to close their doors. I know your livelihood and those you employ weighs heavy on your mind and hearts. I’m sorry that you have to suffer for something you had no control over.

I’m sorry to the teachers that have worked so hard all year to teach my kids and now are left scrambling trying to figure out how to teach them from afar.

I’m sorry to all my kiddos that so desperately want to be back at school to see their friends and teachers. I hate that you’re missing out, but it gives my heart such reassurance that they absolutely love and adore their teachers and feel safe when they’re with them. It makes me happy to know that they have friends that they can’t wait to see.

I’m sorry to the parents scrambling to figure out how they’re going to have childcare AND a paycheck. It’s a choice you shouldn’t have to make.

I’m sorry to the medical personnel and law enforcement going to work every day knowing that this pandemic could impact you and your family. Yet you go. Every. Single. Day.

I’m sorry to those that have jobs that require you to be in constant contact with others and the uncertainty that brings. I’m sorry to the people that go unappreciated every day and it takes a time like this for you to be appreciated (hello waste sanitation worker, bank workers, grocery store employee, etc).

I’m sorry to the people having to make difficult decisions. Our President, our Governor, our local leaders. I know that making decisions that impact so many isn’t something taken lightly, especially when the economic stress of it is so far reaching. I’m sorry that no matter what decision you make that it will continually be criticized. I know that making the difficult decisions that you have impacts you as well as those you govern for. I’m sorry that the fact that you are human gets lost amongst our criticism.

In these uncertain times, there’s plenty of fear to go around. But if you look closely, you’ll see those that are trying to help others. People lifting up other people. That’s the beauty in this scary time. I pray that once this subsides and we’re able to resume our new life of “normal,” that the sense of community and helpfulness isn’t lost.

I pray that we never forget that fear can consume us if we allow it. It can destroy and create panic. But hope, faith, and grace bring life and calm. Let’s give one another grace in this time. Let’s give each other hope. Let’s help each other keep the faith that we will overcome and survive these uncharted waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment