Sunday, January 16, 2022

It Won't Be This Way Forever (3/4/21)

It won't be this way forever. The art won't be hung haphazardly on the wall by the little hands that created it. I won't go to bed at night and find pictures and notes tucked under my pillow or left on my nightstand.

One day my walls will have only the pictures I've hung; no proud artwork from tiny artists. One day these small gestures will fade because you've grown. I'll miss them. I realize it more and more with each passing day. As your sister has gotten older, her artwork has faded, so I cherish the ones I saved. And my heart aches because I know one day that's all that I'll have to cling to from you too. You'll outgrow it, though my heart adores it.
So for the days that I can, I'll let your artwork hang -- on my living room walls, above my bed, tucked into my drawer, I'll leave it until it falls. Then I'll fold it up and tuck it away as a treasure of your youth. I'll let it hang because I know one day, only the pictures I've hung will remain.
Each artistic work. Each cut out banner. Each little note you stick upon my wall. I'll love them no matter how out of place they look and I'll let them hang as a sweet reminder of you.





No comments:

Post a Comment