Sunday, June 12, 2022

Love Grows In Gardens 5/29/22

"When I grow up, I'm going to be an organic farmer. And I'm going to have a garden just like you because you love gardening. Maybe I'll have some animals too because you grew up on a farm right? And that's what you did with your dad."

For as long as I can remember, his garden had the straightest rows and the finest dirt; the kind you could walk through barefoot and it felt like sand through your toes. It's where I hopped from footprint to footprint behind him as he pushed the tiller between rows. There wasn't a weed to be found in his garden. It was a masterpiece.
Year after year, his garden grew. There were years he'd tell me he'd replanted it three or four times before anything grew. But he also told me, just like it says in the Bible, there's a time to reap and a time to sow, so when it's ready, both will happen. He reminded me of that when I'd complain that I was late getting my garden in.
Dad's garden didn't just feed his house. As his garden grew, it also grew in size. The bounty to be shared throughout the community. Green beans and tomatoes were also abundant. There was always more than we could use, so we canned and the rest he gave away.
For years, I've never planted green beans, I didn't need to, he always had more than enough. The same for tomatoes, I'd plant a few, but when it came time to can, I depended on his supply. This year, I planted rows of both.
As I went out to weed my garden and Afton walked with Rob behind the tiller, I couldn't help but admire the rows of beans that were growing. I felt proud that they grew. And as I watch my little girl hop into her daddy's footsteps, I couldn't help but think how it would have made him smile.
It was then that I remembered that he lives on and continues to be with me. She'll remember working the ground. She'll remember planting the seeds. Though she may not grow up to have a farm, somehow I believe that she'll have a garden and one day smile when she remembers being out there with us. She'll remember her roots and where that love began, and he'll continue to live on and at some point, so will I. Because a lot of love grows in gardens.





No comments:

Post a Comment