Saturday, January 29, 2022

Sisters Sleepover

Since they were old enough to ask, they've been begging for sleepovers together.  On weekends we agree. On school nights, not so much. But the other night, we let them have a sleepover together on a school night. And it was pure magic.

They plotted all afternoon.  They drug blankets up. Games came out of the closet and went up the stairs. Art supplies took over the upstairs living room. The disco light came down for the pre-party in the living room.  Snacks were snuck up to the bedroom. 

Oh how they giggled and laughed. It was the kind of night that makes fills a heart with happiness.  Sisters making memories. Sisters becoming best friends. 

It was only supposed to be one night, but they asked again the next day.  We gave a reluctant yes (with the admonishment that bedtime had to happen or they would go to their own rooms), again they were so excited. It's now happened every night for a week. Complete with a dance party every night except one. 

I'm not sure how many more nights they'll want to do it, but I don't think I'll tell them no as long as they're asking.  I won't say no because when I snuck this picture, it captured the joy of them being together.


I won't say no because nights like these they are becoming what I have always prayed for, best friends. They're becoming secret keepers, joke tellers, dream seekers, and each others biggest fans.  That bond is worth the room that looks like a tornado hit it. 

Some rules are made to be broken even on school nights.  Sometimes those broken rules lead to sisters learning that sisters really do make the best friends and to me, that's worth me breaking my own rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment