Sunday, January 16, 2022

Never Forget (9/11/21)

Twenty years ago, yet it seems like yesterday. I'll never forget learning about what had happened. I had just arrived to work on campus and everyone was sitting around the television (which was unheard of). I remember asking what was going on and Sam telling me that the World Trade Centers had been hit. Then I remember watching in disbelief as the day continued to unfold. I remember driving back home that night just because I wanted to be with those I loved.

I remember the devastation. I remember the disbelief. I remember the heartbreak. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Then I watched something amazing happen. I watched a country unite. I watched as others sacrificed themselves for their fellow man. I watched as opinions and politics were pushed aside because they weren't what mattered. I saw our country prove why it is great.

As I sit here twenty years later and think about how my children will never full understand the significant impact that day had, I can't help but feel a little nostalgic. As I look at our country today, we've forgotten. We've forgotten that unity. We've forgotten that sacrificing ourselves for the betterment of others is a life-giving gift. We've forgotten that ultimately our opinions and politics aren't what are going to help us survive. We rose together after 9/11. We put our faith in God and in one another and we overcame. We vowed to never forget.

We're not the same country we were twenty years ago. Personally, I don't think we're better. I hope as we reflect on the anniversary of one of our most devastating days as a country, we remember the lessons from that day. I pray that we chose to use this anniversary to look within ourselves and chose the common good as we did then. I pray that we truly never forget that day, those lost, and the lessons learned.

Never forget 9/11/01.



No comments:

Post a Comment